Welcome to SpitfireSpares.com instruments section page 2

 

To find Parts and services available click on the buttons

 

Search

AirFrame

Armaments

Books

Canopy

Controls

Deact Firearms

Electrical

Fuel

Gun Sights

Hydraulics

Instruments

Lighting

Jet Parts

Miscellaneous

Oxygen

Pilot Equiptment

Propellers

RFC Propellers

Power Plant

Parts Manuals

Radio

Rockets

Relics

Replica aircraft

SAS and Militaria

Undercarridge

Featured services and information

Aircraft For Hire

Aircraft recoveries

Aircrew

Refrence Section

Video

Visit to USA

Visit to Arnhem

Part Identification

 

 

 

HomeContact UsDelivery PolicyPayment OptionsTerms & ConditionsView Cart

 


THE SAS

  This is the  SAS section on these pages will be hard to find parts to convert and supply your wartime SAS vehicles including armaments along with a range of equipment used by the famous SAS.

Inert firearms, ammunition or ordinance can no longer be purchased via Paypal and a separate payment method will be required, these items are listed on the ordinance page with an alternative payment method. All other items are available using the normal shopping cart.

Also includes other Military items

 

The Special Air Service

             

The Special Air Service was a unit of the British army in WWII, formed in July 1941 by David Stirling and originally called "L" Detachment, Special Air Service Brigade — the "L" designation and Air Service name being a tie-in to a British disinformation campaign, trying to deceive the Axis into thinking there was a paratrooper regiment with numerous units operating in the area (the real SAS would 'prove' to the Axis that the fake one existed). It was conceived as a commando force to operate behind enemy lines in the North Africa campaign and initially consisted of five officers and 60 ranks Its first mission, in November 1941, was a parachute drop in support of the operation crusader offensive. Due to German resistance and adverse weather conditions, the mission was a disaster: 22 men, a third of the unit, were killed or captured. Its second mission was a success: transported by the long range desert group, it attacked three airfields in Libya destroying 60 aircraft without loss In September 1942 it was renamed 1st SAS, consisting at that time of four British squadrons, one Free French, one Greek, and the boat section.

In January 1943, Stirling was captured in Tunisia and Paddy Maine replaced him as commander. In April 1943, the 1st SAS was reorganized into the Special Raiding Squadron under Mayne's command and the Special boat squadron was placed under the command of George Jellico. The Special Raiding Squadron fought in Sicily and Italy along with the 2nd SAS, which had been formed in North Africa in 1943 in part by the re-naming of the small scale raiding group The Special Boat Squadron fought in the Aegean Islands  until the end of the war. In 1944 the SAS Brigade was formed from the British 1st and 2nd SAS, the French 3rd and 4th SAS and the Belgium 5th SAS It was tasked with parachute operations behind the German lines in France and carried out operations supporting the Allied advance through Belgium, the Netherlands, and eventually into Germany.

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge

MG 42 AA tripod mount (pg1 SAS)

Here is a an Anti Aircraft mount for the MG 42 in good condition its complete and operates as it should with free movement of all the parts.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

£895

International buyers should contact me for a shipping quote .

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 

Throat Microphone Type 2 MK II (pg1 SAS)

This is a British Army Microphone throat low level type 2 MK II for use with Wireless Set WS38. Stores reference ZA19734. 1939-1945 period.

£125

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Wooden Gun Stock for Sten Gun (pg1 SAS)

Here is an original Gun Stock for a Sten gun in good original condition. Please note this is just the wooden stock the Gun is not included.

Image result for sten gun with wooden stock   

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

      

£100

 

 

Mount Number 1

£1200

Mount Number 2

£1200

 

Bren Gun Anti aircraft mount (pg1 Arm)

Here we have a superb Bren Gun AA mount, it can also be used as a tripod. It is all free and working as it should.

If required I will send pictures of it set up with a Bren mounted on it but its difficult to get a background free picture for the website so I have used a picture from the internet to show how it is set up. I now have two available. This item is heavy so overseas buyers please contact me for shipping quote.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Shown above mount one                                                                                                                                                 Shown above mount two                               

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Below an M63 fitted with a 50 call MG

50 Calibre Anti Aircraft Mount (pg1 Arm)

Here is an original M63 50 calibre anti aircraft mount its in excellent condition and works as it should complete with a 100 round ammo box.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Please note this sale is for the 50 call mount only does not include the MG.

Find this on the armaments pages link here

This item is heavy and large international buyer please contact me for a shipping quote

Click on the pictures to enlarge

2 pieces available £120 each

These are heavy international buyers contact me for shipping quote.

Sherman Tank track links recovered from the Arnhem/Nijmegen area of Holland

2 pieces available £75 each

 These are heavy international buyers contact me for shipping quote.

Sherman Tank tracks recovered from the Arnhem/Nijmegen area of Holland .(pg1 SAS)

Here are  pieces of Tank track from a Sherman Tank recovered from the Arnhem/ Nijmegen area in Holland.

 

Above Sherman Tanks in Arnhem. Below Dutch citizens cheering British Sherman tanks in Holland

WW1 GUARDS BDE Depot Caterham Presentation Framed Photo (pg1 SAS)

A nice presentation photo of WW1 period in its original oak frame & never removed. Size 15 X 13 inches. This shows a early WWI Lorry at the Guards Training Depot at Caterham with 25 Guardsmen of the Grenadier ,Coldstream, Scots ,Irish and Welsh Guardson. Also an "In Memorandum" a list of names to reverse which include the CO of the Kings Company ,Capt Malcolm. This presented to a Doctor J.FULLER on behalf of A.Thorne DSO, possibly the depots CO. Great picture and an interesting RESEARCH project.. Note that all the Guardsmen are either Corporals or Lance Corporals.

Click on the pictures shown left to enlarge them.

Although not related to the SAS I acquired this picture as it is an interesting early piece which may be of interest to my customers.

£120

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge

British Officers 37 pattern Webbing (pg1 SAS)

This is a really nice clean set of webbing in 1937 pattern for a British  Officer.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 

 

£275

 

Click the picture's to enlarge 

WWI 5-15 VP Telescope for high Angle Gun 1917 (pg1 SAS)

 

The "high angle gun" is a British naval term for a anti-aircraft 80 degree elevation gun

Here is superb telescope for a high angle gun. The Optics work perfectly and it comes in its original box. It is the illuminated version with cross hairs.

Made by W Ottway and Co Ltd  Ealing . High angle guns were used in an anti aircraft role for shooting down both aircraft and Zeppelins.

£275

This is a heavy piece over seas buyers contact us for a shipping quote

Click the picture to enlarge 

Bren Gun Webbing (pg1 SAS)

This is a bag that carries a Bren when broken down into component parts. original in great condition.

£75

Click the picture to enlarge 

Original WW2 Holster and Ammo Pouch (pg1 SAS)

Here we have a Light Coloured Gun Holster and Ammo Pouch

The Holster is Dated 1943 and was produced by Craft Ltd

£55

German Wehrmacht Afrika Korps dust goggles (pg1 SAS)

The German Africa Corps (German: Deutsches Afrikakorps, DAK), or the Afrika Korps as it was popularly called, was the German expeditionary force in Libya and Tunisia during the North African Campaign of World War II. The reputation of the Afrika Korps is synonymous with that of its first commander Erwin Rommel, who later commanded the Panzer Army Africa which evolved into the German-Italian Panzer Army  and Army Group Africa. Goggles in good original condition in their original paper envelope.

£45

Click on the pictures to enlarge them

German Pickelhelme remains from the Somme near Deville Wood (pg1 SAS)

For full details enlarge the picture left

£155

Click on the pictures to enlarge them

German J.P. Saucer and Sohn Gew 98 sniper rifle magazine from the Somme near Deville Wood (pg1 SAS)

For full details enlarge the picture left

£125

Click on the pictures to enlarge them

Two forks and numbered spoon Falklands war recovered from Argentinean Submarine (pg1 SAS)

For full details enlarge the picture left

£125

Click on the pictures to enlarge them

Main wheel, bearing German panzer 4 recovered from Bastogne Battle of the Bulge (pg1 SAS)

For full details enlarge the picture left

£175

Click on the pictures to enlarge them

Eagle removed from a grain sack found in a barn near Amiens left over from the German occupation in WWII (pg1 SAS)

For full details enlarge the picture left

£125

 

Mk.2 Brodie Helmet (pg 1 SAS)

This is the Mk II Version of the Brodie Helmet which served the British and Commonwealth forces throughout World War II. It is Stamped with the manufacturers mark BMB (Briggs Motor Body Ltd) showing that this is a British Helmet and it is Dated 1940

Several Commonwealth nations, such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa, produced their own versions of the MK II, which can be distinguished from those made in Britain.

£195

Ypres 1914-1918

The following items were purchased personally from collectors in Ypres Belgium and all came from the First World War Battles that took place in and around Ypres. They will be supplied with certificates of authenticity.

The British and common wealth soldiers suffered a staggering one million casualties in the Ypres area during world war one. The Menen gate memorial seen left contains the names of 55,000 men who have no know graves and still lie buried in the surrounding fields.

 Each Day at 8 pm the last post is played by local buglers as a tribute to the men who gave their lives in this most brutal of wars. The whole city of Ypres including the Cathedral were completely destroyed.

Ypres was a renowned medieval town that had once thrived as a centre for textiles.

 

In WWI, Ypres became synonymous with destruction, trench warfare, poisonous gas and military stalemate.

 

The Germans swiftly advanced through Belgium in their drive to Paris but failed to take the Ypres salient. It was in this area that three Battle of Ypres took place and nearby the battle of Passchendale . What now appears to be a medieval town belies the fact that most of Ypres was rebuilt after World War One had finished.

 

In the late C17th the fortifications of the town had been modernised by Vauban. He reduced the number of fortified gates into the town from six to four. However, as a result of the major changes that had occurred in society, by 1914, these fortifications had become redundant. Road widening schemes and a new rail line meant that the old gates as designed by Vauban had been reduced to one and many of his ramparts had been pulled down.

 

On October 13th 1914, German troops from the 3rd Reiter Division, part of the German IV Reiter Korps, entered Ypres. After holding the town’s Burgomaster to ransom, they took 75,000 Belgium Francs. The next day, the British Expeditionary Force entered the city – the men from the 3rd Reiter Division swiftly withdrew in the face of much greater numbers confronting them. The town stayed in the hands of the Allies for the rest of the war.

 

However, the Germans could not allow a major enemy force to hold land behind the advances of its army. The Germans continued to advance to the north and south of the Ypres Salient and the bulge of Allied men between both represented a major threat to the Germans. 

 

On November 22nd 1914,the Germans started a huge artillery barrage against the town. The old Cloth Hall, which dated from 1260, was set on fire and large parts of the medieval town were destroyed. Civilian casualties were high and may have been worse had it not been for the work of Abbé Delaere and Sister Marguerite who both did what they could to help the homeless and wounded. Despite the devastation of the town, some civilians remained. However, many went to the comparative safety of nearby Poperinge

 

Between April and May 1915, there was a second German barrage against the town. The Cloth Hall was destroyed during this attack along with the historic Collegiate Church of St. Martin. On May 9th, a decision was taken to compulsorily evacuate all civilians from the town. After this date, Ypres was left to the military.

 

In 1916, fighting around Ypres quietened (when compared to 1914 and 1915) and some civilians returned to their town. However, the Third Battle of Ypres in 1917 once again made it exceptionally dangerous to live in the town. In 1918, as a result of a major spring offensive, German forces got to the outskirts of the town on its eastern and southeast flanks. However, British forces held firm and the town was not taken. Ypres was only finally safe in late September 1918 when the last German troops withdrew from the Salient.   

 

Click on the picture to enlarge.

Below the Hooge crater in 1915

Hooge Crater 18Lb Shell cap 1 (pg1 SAS)

This the safety cap which covered the 18Lb Shell it sometimes had a leather carrying strap attached, just recently recovered from the Hooge crater area near Ypres.

Hooge is a small village on the Menin Road (the N8), around two miles east of Ypres. The front line of the Salient was here in 1914 and there was fierce fighting in the area over the next three years, during which the village was totally destroyed. The road from Ypres to Hooge leads past the infamous Hellfire corner, once one of the most dangerous spots in the Salient.

A large crater was blown at Hooge in July 1915 by and underground german mine. This occurred during a time of relative quiet on the British part of the Western Front, when few major assaults were made. Nonetheless, the average casualty rate for the British and Commonwealth forces was around 300 per day. Hooge, having been earlier lost, had been retaken in May 1915. On the 2nd of June, Hooge Chateau was lost.

£35

Click on the picture to enlarge.

Hooge Crater 18Lb Shell cap 1 (pg1 SAS)

This the safety cap which covered the 18Lb Shell it sometimes had a leather carrying strap attached, just recently recovered from the Hooge crater area near Ypres.

£45

 

Ypres Shrapnel Soldier (pg1 SAS)

This is a model German soldier made from a piece of shrapnel recovered from the Ypres area. 55mm tall.

£25

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Trench Tool 1945 (Pg 1 SAS)

This is British Trench tool. This pattern was used from WWI right through WWII.

£75

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Trench art 3"Inch Howitzer shell ash tray (Pg 1 SAS)

A solid brass ash tray made from a 3" Howitzer shell dated 1942.

1942

£75

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Trench art 75mm M8 Shell shell ash tray (Pg 1 SAS)

A solid brass lighter  made from a 75mm M8 shell

 

£75

 

Click on the picture's to enlarge.

1914 George V Gold Sovereign (pg1 Misc)

This Original World War 1 Gold Sovereign was issued during the Reign of George V in the Year the War broke in Europe. Struck in Solid 22-Carat Gold by the Royal Mint, This Historic Sovereign is a Fitting commemorative to mark the 100th Anniversary of the Start of the First World War

This is London Minted

Grade E.F

This Includes a Gold Ring around the Sovereign for use as a necklace

Within days of the outbreak of World War One in August 1914, the British Treasury was urging the public not to withdraw gold sovereigns from banks. Within a few months the government legislated to the same effect, which meant that the Gold Standard, of which the sovereign was the supreme symbol, had ended.

 

The 1914 gold sovereign was therefore, the last gold sovereign ever to circulate as coinage. It is a year-date that represents an important moment in our history and it is highly sought-after by collectors.

 

This Weighs 7.988 grams of 22kt Gold and measures 22.05mm across

 

More Information About Mint Marks on Sovereigns Visit Here

 

Please View on our Miscellaneous page

  Here is a Collection of Military Styled Crested China

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Shelley Crested China Artillery Gun (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Artillery Gun

This is Made by Shelley China and Has the City of Aberdeen Crest

Number 340

£40

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Crafton Crested China Artillery Shell (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Artillery Shell

This is Made by Grafton China and Has the Falmouth Crest

£25

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Arcadian Crested China Colonial Hat (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a Art Nuevo Colonial Hat

This is Made by Arcadian China and Has the Tewkesbury Crest

No 657738

£30

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Arcadian Crested China Colonial Scouts Hat (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a Art Nuevo Colonial Scouts Hat

This is Made by Diamond China and Has the Bournemouth Crest

 

£30

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Arms Crested China Military Helmet (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Military Helmet

This is Made by Arms China and Has the Aberayron Crest

£30

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

 

Gemma Crested China Military Cap (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Military Cap

This is Made by Gemma China and Has the Rothesay Crest

£25

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

Crested China Military Cap (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Military Style Cap

This has the Bruges Crest

£25

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

 

Swan Crested China Military Cap (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Military Cap

This is Made by Swan China and Has the Aldershot Crest

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

 

Shelley Crested China Military Cap (Pg 1 SAS)

Here we have a WW1 Military Cap

This is Made by Shelley China and Has the Largs Crest

No 176

£25

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

2 inch British Mortar (pg1 SAS)

Here we have a Deactivated British 2 inch Mortar. When World War II broke out, 500 2-inch mortars were supplied to the British infantry and among the Commonwealth armies.

Very light and easy to use, it fires explosive shells, smoke shells and illuminating shells and is very successful among English soldiers. 

Several versions of this light mortar emerge, equipping both British cavalry with the Mark III used on tanks as smoke grenade launchers and British Para-troopers with the Mark 8 'Airborne'

It was used on on all battlefields of World War II and especially during the Battle of Normandy, the 2-inch mortar remained in service in the British Army until the 1980s to illuminate and smoke the battlefield.

This was then replaced by the Royal Ordinance 51mm Infantry Mortar model

 

Out of Stock More Wanted Contact Us

click on the pictures to enlarge  

£295

 

WW2 Baby's Gas Mask (pg1 SAS)

This looks like a deep-sea diving helmet but is in fact a gas mask for babies, dating from World War II. In 1938, the British Government gave everyone, including babies, gas masks to protect them in case the Germans dropped poison gas bombs on Britain.

This gas mask was for children up to two years old. The parents placed their baby inside the mask so that the head was inside the steel helmet and the baby could see through the visor. Then they wrapped the canvas part around the baby's body with the straps fastened under its bottom like a nappy, and its legs dangling free below. The canvas had a rubber coating to stop gas seeping through the material, and the straps were tied securely so that the mask was airtight.

There is an asbestos filter on the side of the mask, and this absorbed poisonous gases. Attached to this is a rubber tube shaped like a concertina with a handle. This was pushed back and forth to pump air into the mask. With the baby inside the mask, an adult could start to use the hand pump.

Health Visitors and Child Welfare Centres gave lessons on how to use the mask. Despite instruction courses, few parents were totally happy with encasing their child in an airtight chamber. In fact there was some question over its safety. During demonstrations there were reports that babies fell asleep and became unnaturally still inside the masks! It is likely that the pump didn't push enough air into the mask and the babies came close to suffocating. Luckily, they were never put to the test in a real situation.

 

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

WW2 British Army Webbing Map Case (pg2 misc)

Here we have a Webbing Map Case used by Officers of the British Army

This is a  G.S No.2 Mk.1

This Case is a pocket, open at the top, a single piece of webbing comprising flap and back, with a turn-back to which a pair of male (spigot) halves of press fasteners are fixed.

To this is stitched a “picture frame” of webbing, with a piece of celluloid stitched into the frame. The sides and bottom are gusseted to accommodate several folded maps. The flap is fitted out for pencils and a protractor, exactly like the first issue.

Seen Below on a Army Mannequin

Click Here to see this in the Misc Page

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

£200

Model FA176 Aerial Surveying Altimeter (pg2 misc)

Here we have a Model FA176 Aerial Surveying Altimeter

Serial 7321B

It is in a Good Original Condition

Manufactured by Wallace and Tiernan

It Measures 10" in Diameter

The Body is Made of Aluminium

 It Comes Complete with its Green Canvas Carry Case

This was Used by the US Army Corp of Engineers

During World War II, the Army Corps of Engineers in the European Theatre of Operations was responsible for building countless bridges, including the first and longest floating tactical bridge across the Rhine at Remagen, and building or maintaining roads vital to the Allied advance across Europe into the heart of Germany.

 In the Pacific theatre, the Pioneer troops were formed, a hand-selected unit of volunteer Army combat engineers trained in jungle warfare, knife fighting, and unarmed jujitsu (hand-to-hand combat) techniques. Working in camouflage, the Pioneers cleared jungle and prepared routes of advance and established bridgeheads for the infantry as well as demolishing enemy installations

                     

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Seen below three members of the 101st airborne at Bastogne.

German Half track Armoured window shutter Battle of Bastogne (pg1 SAS )

Here is an armoured window shutter found at Bastogne from the battle in the winter of 1944 it still retains some of its camo paint a superb piece of History.

The Battle of Bastogne was a battle between American and German forces at the town of Bastogne in Belgium from 20th to the 27th December 1944, it was part of a bigger operation, the Battle of the Bulge. The battle is also known as the Siege of Bastogne. The German forces tried to reach Antwerp harbor, their plan was to reach it before the Allies and bring in more forces to hold it and to defeat the nearing Allied forces. All of the roads in the Ardennes mountain's met at the town of Bastogne, that was one of the main reasons why it was so appealing and important for the Germans.

The siege ended on 27 December 1944 when the American forces holding the town were relived George Patton's 3rd Army.

The US 101st airborne band of Brothers were immortalized in this battle the events of which were featured in the series Band of Brothers.

Seen below a German half track.

  £175

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 The SdKfz 251 (Sonderkraftfahrzeug 251) half-track was an armored fighting vehicle designed and first built by the Hanomag Company during World War II. Used by the Wehrmacht, the Sd.Kfz. 251 was designed to transport the panzergrenadiers of the German mechanized infantry corps into battle. Sd.Kfz. 251s were the most widely produced German half-tracks of the war, with at least 15,252 vehicles and variants produced by various manufacturers, and were commonly referred to simply as “Hanomags” by both German and Allied soldiers.

German Half track SDKFZ complete track link Normandy (pg1 SAS )

Here is a complete track link from a German SDKFZ half track recovered from Normandy from the battle of 1944. Another superb piece of history from the battle for the liberation of Europe in 1944.

Shown below a German SDFKZ halftrack

 £225

International buyers please contact me for shipping quote

Click on the picture to enlarge

German Half track SDKFZ rubber shoe dated 1941 Normandy (pg1 SAS )

Here is a rubber shoe from a German SDKFZ 8 halftrack found in Normandy

 £55

Click on the pictures to enlarge

German PAK 40 Ammo spacer Bastogne(pg1 SAS )

Here is an ammunition spacer from a German PAK 40 found at Bastogne this piece still has remains of its original yellow paint.

Shown below the German 75mm PAK 40

 £75

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 £175

German Marder 2 tank Destroyer track Kursk (pg1 SAS )

This superb piece of history is from a Marder 2 tank destroyer recovered from Russia from the Kursk Battlefield and is dated 1942 it includes an attached ice cleat to give added traction in snow and ice. The vicious battle of the winter campaign took place in 1943.

Seen under a Marder II Tank Destroyer on the Eastern front.

A total of 576 German Marder II Tank Destroyer were built between June 1942 June 1943 and a further 75 were converted from damaged Panzer II tanks. The Marder II remained in service with the German Army until the end of the War and served on all fronts.

Armament: 7.5mm Pak 40 anti-tank gun & x1 7.92mm MG
Armour: 35mm Steel
Crew: 3
Dimensions: Length 6.36m / Width 2.28m / Height 2.2m
Weight: 10.8 tonne
Engine: 140hp Maybach 6 cylinder Petrol
Top Road Speed: 40 km/h
Operational Range: 190 km

Click on the picture to enlarge

German maxim machine gun Spanner Somme (pg1 SAS )

Here we have a spanner for a Maxim machine gun this was recovered from the Somme battlefield . Marked in very nice condition.

 £60

Click on the pictures to enlarge

German MG 34/42 ammo loader Normandy. (pg1 SAS )

 

Here we have an ammo loader for the MG 34/42 recovered from Normandy. The most advance MG of its time with an extremely rapid fire it caused carnage among the Allied troops in Normandy.

 £75

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 £155

 

German Panzer II Tank track link Ardennes (pg1 SAS )

Here we have a track link from a Panzer II Tank it was found in the Ardennes from the German invasion of France in 1940.

The Panzer II Light tank was the second German tank to enter mass production during the period of German rearmament in the 1930s. Unlike the Panzer 1, it had always been intended to use the Panzer II in combat, but not to the extent that eventually happened. A combination of slow progress on the development of the Panzer III and Panzer IV and the unexpectedly rapid expansion of the Panzer forces from 1936 meant that the Panzer II was the most important German tank at the beginning of the Second World War, and still the most numerous at the start of the offensive in the west in May 1940.

The Germans won their most significant victories with these generally un-regarded light tanks, and suffered their defeats with the more famous heavier tanks.

The full designation of the tank was the PanzerKampfWagen II or Armoured Fighting Vehicle II. This was abbreviated to Pk.Kpfw II, PzKw II or Panzer II. It also received the Ordnance Department designation SD Ktz 121 and the codename LaS 100.

The Panzer II was similar in layout to the earlier Panzer I. Like all German tanks the engine was at the rear, with the drive wheels at the front. The turret was offset slightly to the left and carried one 20mm cannon and one 7.92mm machine gun. The 20mm gun could fire high explosive or amour piercing rounds, so the Panzer II did have a limited ability to fight other tanks.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

You can see the position of the armoured window in the pictures under.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 £355

 

German Tiger tank Armoured window Normandy(pg1 SAS )

This is a superb piece an armoured window from the legendary Tiger tank, this piece was found in Normandy and almost certainly  came from one of Hitler's  tank battalions held in reserve who could possibly have repelled the invasion had they been brought into action sooner. Apparently Hitler was asleep when the invasion happened and his staff were too frightened to wake him in time too get his personal order to release the tanks. The armoured glass is still intact and quite clear the picture under was taken through the glass of our Spitfire you can see it gives quite a wide field of vision.

Click on the pictures to enlarge

Below the 101st SS Heavy Tank Battalion., Normandy, 1944

THE PANZERKAMPFWAGEN VI or Tiger tank was never a common sight on the battlefields of World War Two.

During the roughly two years that the vehicle was in production, only 1,347 were built – a number that is lower than the monthly production figures for the M4 Sherman and Soviet T34 at the height of the war. Any other fighting machine that was produced in such limited numbers would be quickly forgotten, but the Tiger’s impressive combat performance has left a mark on history that far outweighs the tank’s strategic significance.

Everything about the Tiger was over-engineered (to an almost absurd degree). Its 88-mm main gun was so formidable that shells often blasted straight through enemy tanks and came out the other side. Its amour was so thick a crew could more or less park in front of an enemy anti-tank gun with little fear of harm. Its engine was so powerful that the 54-ton hulk was able to keep pace with tanks less than half its weight.

And in the hands of an expert commander a lone Tiger could knock out dozens of enemy machines in a single engagement.

 

Click on the pictures to enlarge

 £255

SS Totenkopf Panzer 4 type 5B track link Modlin Warsaw (pg1 SAS )

This piece was recovered from Modlin near Warsaw the scene of the Warsaw uprising in August 1944. On the 1st of August , the Polish Home army launched the Warsaw uprising. A column of Totenkopf Tiger tanks were caught up in the fighting and several were lost. The Totenkopf itself was not involved in the suppression of the uprising instead guarding the front lines, and fighting off several Red Army attacks into the cities eastern suburbs. In several Battles near the town on Modin in mid August the Totenkopf , fighting alongside the 5th SS panzer division Wiking and the Herman Goring Panzer division destroyed the Soviet 3rd tank Korps. The terrain around Modin was excellent for armour and the Totenkopf Panzers exploited this too their advantage engaging Soviet tanks from a range where the superiority of the German optics and the 75mm high velocity gun gave the panzers the edge over the Soviets T 34s.

Seen under the Panzer IV Tank

International buyers please contact me for shipping quote

Click on the pictures to enlarge

SS Totenkopf Panzer 4 type 5B track link Modlin Warsaw 2 (pg1 SAS )

This track is the same as the above but in slightly better condition.

 £275

 

Click on the picture to enlarge

£35

 

US Heavy artillery spanner (pg1 SAS )

This piece of history was found near Bastogne from the scene of the fighting during the Battle of the Bulge.

Below an American towed artillery piece, nicknamed "Long Tom", is being set up for firing in the Ardennes - Battle of the Bulge, December

Click on the picture to enlarge

Stuart tank 7th armored div 1944

£155

 

US Stuart tank track link Normandy (pg1 SAS )

Here is a track link from a US Stuart tank this piece was found in Normandy from the battle in the summer of 1945.

The United States Army began operating the new Light Tank M3 vehicles in Mar 1941. Before the Americans took them to combat,  as the United States would not enter WW2 until the end of that year, they exported them to British and Commonwealth forces that were already involved in war with Germany and Italy. The British nicknamed these American light tanks General Stuart, after the American Civil War general; 170 British General Stuart light tanks took part in Operation Crusader in North Africa. British tank crews complained of the ineffective 37-millimeter guns and the short range, although they were liked for the high speed and mechanical reliability. After mid-1942, the British largely kept them out of direct combat missions, using them as reconnaissance, transport, and command vehicles instead. The Russians also received M3 tanks; though they were put in use, the Russians generally disliked these light tanks, citing logistical complications with fuel (use of high octane fuel rather than the more typical diesel usage among Russian tanks), engine sensitivity of impurities in fuel, and use of narrow tracks (which tend to sink into snow more often than tanks with wider tracks).

Production of the M3 light tanks lasted from Mar 1941 through Oct 1943. To alleviate the demand on the aircraft industry, beginning in Oct 1943 the M3 design saw its use of aircraft radial engines change to automobile engines made by Cadillac. This new variant, designed M5, continued to be built through 1944. Over 25,000 vehicles were built during this time. M3 and M5 light tanks remained in service in the United States through the post-WW2 period, and were sold to countries friendly to the United States, such as France, Nationalist China, and Tito's partisan forces in Yugoslavia.

 

                              

 


 © Copyright 2003.  SpitfireSpares.com.  All Rights Reserved.